17/02/2013

The first day of Spring


Our half-term highlight was spending a whole day in the woods, making dens, cooking round a campfire and exploring.  It was such a beautiful sunny day, it felt as though we were celebrating the end of winter and the arrival of spring - hooray!

Our camp was a huge canopy made from parchute fabric under which we made a fire, cooked bread, baked toffee apples* and even made popcorn.
The day was organised by Wildabout, a new project by Bristol Zoo who own over 100 acres of woodland and meadows a few miles outside Bristol.  They organise Forest School sessions, den building birthday parties and summer camps.  E's school have just started Forest School afternoons, so I'm really hoping that this site will provide more children with fantastic memories of sun-lit days in the woods.

* to make camp-fire toffee apples:  spear the apple on the end a a stick and cook in the fire until soft.  Remove the skin, roll in cinammon sugar and then heat until the sugar is caramalised. Delicous - E ate 3!


13 comments:

  1. It was brilliant! Here's to more camp fire fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still glowing from all the fun we had (and only just stopped smelling of woodsmoke!)

      Delete
  2. how wonderful! I must try the toffee apples with my little ones, thanks for thr recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a beautiful day out - and I'll definitely be making the apples again!

      Delete
  3. ooh yes, my son did a week with Wildabout last summer hols and loved it soooo much!! Perfect weather for warming camp fire food too, those apples look scrummy, must remember them for next bonfire we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I think Z will be making a return during the summer holidays too, so maybe we'll see you there....

      Delete
  4. Yum. Looks like great fun, and everything cooked on a campfire tastes brilliant, will definitely have to try some toffee apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the easiest and most amazing thing to cook round a campfire, so you should definitely give it a go. Thank you for your comment to and lovely to discover your blog too.

      Delete
  5. Sounds wonderful! Who supplied the parachute? I think everything taste better over a camp fire!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. In fact everything tastes better outdoors!

      Delete
  6. We just 'met' so there is something you ought to know about me. I was raised by wolves. I love the woods! i need to live a wild and free life and I need to live close to nature. So, a post about a day in the woods? With a tent? And a fire? I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tiny little stocking cap is just too adorable.
    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous! What a wonderful way to spend the day. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.