05/12/2012

Advent Calendar 2012


I've spent what feels like weeks making this year's advent calendar so I'm really pleased to be able to finally photograph it and post about it today - hooray!  I really love it, probably more than the children.

The idea for it came from wanting to create a pretty snow scene for our Christmas cake.  The decorations I found were all a bit boring so I searched model railway websites and found miniature wonderfulness at every turn! There were so many lovely figures to choose from, it gave me the idea of creating an advent calender using different miniature winter activities.

I'm behind finishing it because I had trouble trying to replicate ground snow.  I initially tried white paper with wadding on the top, which looked good but the figures wouldn't stand upright. Then I tried spray replica snow but it was fiddly and messy.  I finally settled on white glitter paper which works really well and hides the white tack used to hold the figures down.  I painted cocktail sticks white and made little number flags from brown paper.  For ideas of what I put inside each box see last year's advent calendar here.

The whole scene is made up of 24 glitter card squares each stuck onto a craft box. I rounded the edges of each glitter square and tried to make a little standalone scene for each day, like this one for day 12.


I know I've posted this too late for anyone who wants to make something similar but I thought these would also make sweet table name settings by substituting names for the numbers.  The boxes and glitter paper were sourced from Creativity and the figures from Gaugemaster using HO scale models (geek!).

12 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! Absolutely lovely :) Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely awesome. You've done yourself and your kids proud there. It's amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the most AMAZING advent calendar EVER! I love it and will definitely give it a go myself, Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cathy! It's stunning. You've worked so hard. I am now going to geek out myself. Those characters would look great in a handmade snow globe. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! I love it so much. The little figures and snow scenes are fabulous - so much thought and detail in each piece. You clever woman. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an original design. Quite delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that is so beautiful! So much work! Your kids will remember that for years to come. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. That is amazing and you are a super mama. What lovely memory making x

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is hands down the best advent I've ever seen! wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea - I can feel my inner anorak emerging, I'm going to have to get some of those little figures, for the kids of course....

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, I was watching your advent calendar. Its so perfect, One can't imagine. Proud of you. Uncle Tony.,

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely!! Thank you for the kind comment on my blog! I went to Australia this year but it's funny that you thought I lived there. Happy new year and I'm happy to have discovered your pretty blog x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.