23/10/2012

Keeping happy


With the first flush of autumn over, and the clocks going back next week, this is one of the gloomiest times of the year for me. I really struggle with overcast skies, constant rain and darkness being so heavily present at the beginning and end of my waking day.  I find it much harder with children - before their arrival evenings could be spent cocooned in pubs with roaring fires and bottles of wine, and dark weekend mornings buffeted by a long lie-in with the papers.

To offset my mood, I try and make sure I have things to look forward to over the coming weeks.  They usually involve getting out and about and finding new places to explore - woodlands, beautiful viewpoints and places where autumn is at it's very best.  It takes a little more organisation but at the weekend we pack our waterproofs, wellies, OS map and a picnic lunch and head off for an adventure.  It's amazing how much better I feel after a good dose of fresh air and a run around,.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I am EXACTLY the same! You have to make a conscious decision to embrace the mud and cold and just get out.. It drives me crazy staying inside all autumn/winter.
    Plus I have all my Australian friends posting pictures of their spring/summer - jealous!!!
    Enjoy the leaves :)
    x Rhi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...all thoe Oz blogs make me green with envy, and all rejoicing at the arrival of summer just when we're all cold and dark! But glad I'm not the only one, and you seem to be doing a great job of enjoying autumn!

      Delete
  2. what a lovely photo, you are right, time out side is the best, and there is always tea and hot chocolate to come home to x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are consolations of course - Sunday roast, sponge puddings and I do love hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep sigh - I remember those days. I do love that picture though - it looks so homely.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, it's my friend's Polly's parents house just outside Bristol and they always have the most delicious home-made chocolate cake!

      Delete
  5. I love cold sunny days but find the constant gloom very oppressive. I think a lot of people will share your feelings. But getting out in the fresh air is the best anti-depressant ever. Especially if there is the promise of a pint or a pub roast lunch to reward you for all that tromping through the mud in your wellies! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its hard isn't it? England can be so dull and grey and in summer too!
    The outdoor life is definitely the answer tho and I agree with you about needing outings etc as stepping stones through winter. Having said that I'm fond of November and December - is Jan and Feb that drag for me. Since I gave up full time work I've coped much better with the darkness. Now I can get outside when it's light. In the past leaving home and arriving home in the dark was horrid. During the week I never saw my home in daylight !! Nowadays I have no money but I do ave daylight :-).
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I stumbled on your blog and just had to tell you how much I loved your daughter's red coat! Worcestershire is well know to us (ex-RAF hubby from Worcester) and always glad to see 'Home'!
    If Josie thinks England is dull and grey she should visit the Pacific NW coast (we live near the rainforest). When my daughter said 10 years ago to pack only tweeds, wellies and macs she meant it!
    Blessings to all,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.