07/10/2012

Castle Combe - pretty English village


Hooray, another weekend of beautiful autumn weather!

Today we headed to Castle Combe.  I've never visited before and it's a very chocolate-box-beautiful English village, with honey-coloured houses.  I didn't realise how popular it was on the tourist trail until we arrived and there were coach-loads of tourists snapping away at all the houses! You could tell some of the residents weren't that happy about the number of visitors because there were 'PRIVATE - Keep out's signs (in beautiful hand-painted Farrow and Ball colours) everywhere.  I'm not sure I'd like to live there - you probably can't paint your front door without the colour being approved by a village aesthetics committee!


There's a beautiful stream and the views are really lovely though.


We managed some autumn leaf-crunching before heading back to Bristol to see a production of Oliver Jeffers The Incredible Book Eating Boy.  It's a beautiful, amazing, original production combining puppetry, backdrops and live performance performed individually to one child and adult.  You can see a little taster here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-BirHW9MY.

8 comments:

  1. What a coincidence, we saw a production of Stuck today :)

    And your pictures are gorgeous, Castle Combe looks amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - hope you enjoyed Stuck as much a we did! And your fair pics are lovely too!

      Delete
  2. Wow - looks like a stunning place. Glad you had a great time and that show sounds fabulous. We love going to the theatre. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - it was really beautiful and if you get the chance to pay it a visit I would def recommend it.

      Delete
  3. We walked through Castle Combe several years ago and I agree with your judgement - delightful to visit but annoying to live in. Perfect weather for a country ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gai and the weather was amazing - glad you enjoyed it in Cardiff too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That village looks so beautiful. Really idyllic. Not sure I'd like to live there though, all those tourists (like me) peeking into your back garden!

    We saw a theatre production of Oliver Jeffer's Lost and Found a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. We love his books in this house. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Just wanted to apologise - I deleted the lovely comment you just left on my blog! Stupidly trying to do things on my phone with fingers that are way too big! Anyway wanted to say I didn't mean to and thank you :)

    Castle Combe looks so pretty, though like you I wouldn't fancy hoards of tourists hanging outside my house either! Polly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.