I'm miss you. I really do. I know I've complained about you in the past: about your unreliability, your decision to bless us with sunshine during the working week, then pour down with rain at the weekend. But this year you seem to have disappeared altogether. It's rained everyday for I've-lost-count-of-how-many-days. And your absence is making everyone gloomy. So please, please come back. I need to feel the sunshine on my face, look up to blue skies and fluffy white clouds. To wake up under canvas with birds singing and the promise of a summer's day hanging in the morning air. To put away our waterproofs and wellies and wear brightly-coloured t-shirts and sunglasses. To treat my children to ice-creams which melt in the sunshine before they're half-way through.
We all miss you and want you back.
I went out today and it seemed like everyone was short-tempered and gloomy. It was raining heavily and I'm certain it would have been different if the sun had been shining. I'm a naturally optimistic person but I'm struggling to keep happy with the current weather. So in the spirit of being positive I'm writing a 'look on the bright side' list of all the advantages of it being such a wet summer for anyone else reading this who is feeling the same.
- My children aren't lying awake unable to sleep at bedtime due to the bright sunshine flooding their window
- I can still wear my woolly tights even though it's July
- I haven't had to water my garden once this year
- I don't feel guilty about staying in doing indoor stuff
- I can light candles and fairy lights in the evening
- Ducks are happy
- Strawberries are fat
- The hosepipe ban is over
- It's OK to still eat pie for supper instead of summer salads
- I don't have to faff around painting my toenails
- No grappling with sun-cream and sticky children on our days out
- Mud can be fun....
- I haven't been tempted to splash out on a new pair of sunglasses
Errr...I think that's it. If you can think of anything please do add to this list. We can look back when we're having a moment and hopefully it will bring a smile to our faces. The sillier and funnier the better!