22/03/2012

Easter Egg decoration - Washi tape


Woo, hoo! Look at my pretty eggs!  I'm super-excited because I'm no good at dyeing eggs. I've tried using onion skins, nettles and beetroot and the results were weak, blotchy and ugly.  This year, I bought a packet of natural plant egg dye here and, full of excitement, followed the instructions only to get the same patchy results*. I admitted defeat and hit upon the idea of using Washi tape instead and totally love them - and it's so easy.  The eggs look amazing altogether and were used in a treasure hunt for E's birthday.  I'll share with you what I put in them tomorrow.  It was my favourite game of the party and also perfect for Easter.  I'll be generously providing anyone who wants to make these for Easter 2 weeks to save egg shells, enabling them to avoid the situation I found myself in a few days before E's party, when I had 5 days to eat 21 eggs. Not fun!

You'll need:
Different patterned Washi tape.  If you live in Bristol you can buy them from the lovely Pippa and Ike Show on the Gloucester Road (£6.50 for 4 rolls) or else on-line from Papermash.
Egg shells (empty or intact - your choice)

Directions
Cut a length of Washi tape in half length-wise, enough to go around your egg.  Starting from the bottom, secure the tape around the egg, smoothing out wrinkles as you go along. I did a length from top to bottom and across the middle.  I tried doing concentric rings across the middle, but the curve of the egg is too severe and it wrinkles too much.

* I still have some packets left.  If you'd like to have a go, e-mail me your address and I'll pop the sachets out in the post to you. First come, first served.     

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant. My request for Easter crafts came true! I'm so going to do this. They look lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea! My kids are obsessed with that shiny metallic tape. And we've got loads of it. I wonder if that might cut lengthwise? I'll investigate. Thanks for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second post today that I have read which gives me an excuse to buy some washi tape! I was just lamenting on my blog yesterday that I needed a reason to buy a particular roll I was hankering after. These eggs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GENIUS! Best use of washi tape i've seen on a blog yet! So much less messy than paint! Right, I'm off to order some now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I thought the wasabi tape eggs were the star o the show..and now the enchore,,Wow thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.