22/02/2012

Home-made ballerina skirt


E has been smiling non-stop since we made a ballerina skirt together this afternoon.  We found 2 rolls of tulle in pink and cream in a charity shop, and used a waist-length piece of elastic and knots to transform them into a skirt.  I don't think I've ever made anything which requires such little skill but looks so good! If you'd like to make one you'll need scissors, tulle and a length of elastic.
  1. Cut the elastic so it fits around your lucky recipients waist.  Ti the ends  of the elastic together to make a loop.
  2. Cut the tulle into strips twice as long as you'd like the final skirt length.
  3. Take one length of tulle and fold it in half.  Attach the tulle to the elastic using a loopy knot (I'm not sure what it's called).  I've popped some photographs showing the knot at the bottom of the post as it's much easier than trying to describe it. 
  4. Continue tying strips of tulle along the length of elastic, until it's covered all the way around..  



15 comments:

  1. I need a girl! *sob*! I shall make myself one and waft through the snowdrops in it! (not really, but it's nice to dream!). x p.s. congrats to being over 100 followers YAY! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. E looks so pleased with her skirt. Fantastic work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt if brilliant! My daughter was given a similar one for her birthday and insisted on wearing it daily, regardless of the weather or general inappropriateness. Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet she will love it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I think we'll have to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a gorgeous frothy tutu !
    I love the photos too - E is clearly having GREAT fun !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is like little sweetpeas tutu, fab fun to make aren't they :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best charity find ever i think! Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, i have just found your lovely blog. Love the tutu tute. Please pop over to my blog and have a read. I design a eclectic collection of infants clothes, i write about that and my grandson who i look after and my beach house makeover. I have a giveaway at the mo for a pair of vintage knickernoos, so come over and say hi! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was waiting to be the 100th follower - darn it, just missed it! Love this so much and am going out to get some tuille tomorrow to bring a smile to my little lady's face (and one for Rosa for my own amusement!). x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgot to tell you , now following your blog, and thankyou for popping in to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back again ...
    I was wondering if you fancy taking part in a series to celebrate our hands? All through March I'm going to post photos celebrating how we use our hands. Come take a look, and if you want to take part - daily, weekly, whatever suits - let me know :-)
    Happy days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is lovely! I love the pics. Just a thank you for visiting my space on the net and following. Its very much appreciated. Hope your weekend has been good, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful! I think I want one for myself! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.