12/10/2011

Wool Conker Cobwebs

Z and E made conker cobwebs using old scraps of wool to brighten up our autumn days.

I used a kebab skewer to pierce eight holes into the side of a large conker and Z stuck cocktails sticks in them. We cut the sharp points off the cocktails sticks too, as it was looking a bit dangerous at this point!

We started by tying the end of the wool to one of the cocktails sticks and then, working clockwise, wound the wool once around the next cocktail stick and carried on working clockwise, winding around each stick until we had a big band of colour. To change colour we tied the old thread to one of the sticks with a double knot and cut, then tied a new know with the new colour to the previous cocktail stick to there wasn't a gap. We then repeated with different colours. E found this too difficult so she just threaded hers between the sticks using some very fat wool which makes it look like this:

We still have lots of conkers left so I'll be thinking of different ways to make use of them over the next week.

9 comments:

  1. Oh fantastic! I've been wondering what to do with all those conkers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get all these wonderful ideas?! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briliant! I love your table cloth as well! where is it from? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chatty Baby - I've picked up lots of craft ideas from Steiner Fairs, books and my parents! Crystal, the tablecloth is from here. Try e-mailing them to see if they have any left as that's what I did as it wasn't showing in their shop when I bought it a few months ago. It's called the sweetie tablecloth. It's oilcloth too so good for wiping down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brillant idea!!! thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! i love it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours - very 70s! Such a sweet idea. I keep thinking you're calling them Wonky Conker Cobwebs. Oh dear. I need to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute idea! thanks for the advent idea you left on my blog! love the thought of using jars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've just made some of these to brighten up the tree (over grown shrub) in our garden as it was looking a bit sad after I pruned it and the lack of leaves had made it all a bit too bleak - thanks for the idea (not enough conkers but blobs of plasticine have done a good job!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.