12/07/2011

Summer Pudding

I seem to be doing lots of recipes at the moment and not much crafty stuff. I think it's because summer is such a great season for fresh produce and easy to cook recipes. Yesterday I made a summer pudding with Z and E. This morning they were so excited we broke into it for breakfast - who wants cereal when you've got this in the fridge? It's the perfect pudding for children - very easy to make and cutting the first slice generated whoops of excitement. You can use pretty much any mixture of summer berry - raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants, strawberries or blackcurrants.

Ingredients
1kg mixed berries
100g caster sugar
stale bread
Equipment
A 1.5l pudding basin
A sieve
Scissors

What to do
Place the berries in a saucepan with the sugar and 50ml of water and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and there is lots of juice.
Pour the fruit into a sieve so that the juice is collected into a shallow bowl.
Remove the crusts from the bread and using scissors cut out a circle the same size as the bottom of the pudding bowl.
Dip both sides of the circle of bread into the juice and place in the bottom of the pudding bowl.
Cut the remaining bread into triangle pieces and line the pudding bowl, overlapping each piece slightly and making sure there are no gaps.
Once the bowl is lined pour the fruit into the bowl and top with slices of bread. Don't worry about the bread looking like a badly wrapped present, it all comes out pretty evenly.
Place a saucer or bowl on top of the bowl so that the pudding is weighed down a little.
Put in the fridge for 12 hours.
Once ready run a spatula or knife around the inside of the pudding bowl and invert onto a plate.
Serve with cream.

8 comments:

  1. this is one of our favorites too - yum (although most puddings end up on our very long favorites list...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes I have fond memories of my Nana making this pud. I may have to make it for my boys... YUM! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We had leftover bread and butter pudding for breakfast here today...
    I have such fond memories of Summer Pudding, my Mum always used to make it for us for Christmas (in Australia, middle of summer, obviously!) It's delicious. I never realised it was so easy! Adding it to the list ;)
    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love summer pudding but have never made it before. It looks super easy so I will give it a go with the kids. Thanks for posting the recipe. BTW, I am the opposite of you at the moment - loads of crafting and hardly any baking. I am also hating cooking the evening meal - I think it's because there are very few meals that all members of the family would happily eat. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love to make summer puddings at Christmas time such treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colour alone just makes you want to dive in! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! I love the fact you had it for breakfast! That just looks gorgeous. By the way have you watched The Killing US version on Channel 4? I can't get my head around it at all - it just feels weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, thank you so much for visiting me - I'm so pleased I've found your beautiful blog - it looks gorgeous and makes me wish (even more) that I lived in the southwest!
    The pudding looks amazing - yum.
    Emily x
    PS - I'm with jen re The Killing - I missed the first 20 mins of the series though, which could explain my confusion...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.