21/07/2011

Last day of Term


Tomorrow is the last day of term for Z. Yesterday I went to their end of year service. What is it about a bunch of 5 year olds singing 'Let's go and fly a kite' that makes me so emotional - I swear I never used to be such a soft-touch before having children.

I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by. Z has learnt so many new skills - making friends, reading and writing and also how to behave in a school environment . I've been on a learning curve too, understanding phonics (totally new to me), and also appreciating what a demanding job primary school teachers do. I used to think it was all about watching children make shapes with plasticine and draw pictures with crayons. This evening we sat and wrote thank you notes to attach to some home-made marmalade to give to his class teachers who I now think totally deserve those long holidays.

Next term he will no longer be the youngest child in the school {yay}.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you made the presents. Homemade marmalade is a fantastic idea. Wait until you get to Year 3 and they start to learn maths by partitioning - that's very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! Such a meaningful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet idea - means so much more that they're homemade and the labels are written by the children!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.