15/04/2011

Egg Carton Daffodils

Today we made a basket of cheerful daffodils to give to my parents when we visit over Easter. They were really simple to make, using an egg carton, paint, pipe cleaners, green garden sticks and floral tape. I cut the egg carton into two different shapes, one with long sides for the petals and a short one using pinking shears for the trumpet. Z set to work painting them yellow and orange. You can see the different shapes here - E sat the whole thing out and instead indulged her love of pink by mixing red and white paint and marvelling at the result. I wrapped about 2cm of the end of a pipe cleaner in floral tape which Z also painted orange. Once everything was dry we stacked 2 sets of petals and an orange trumpet and used a skewer to make a small hole in the bottom. The pipe cleaner was threaded through, leaving the orange end sticking out of the petals and I wrapped the other end around the green garden stick to secure the flower. We used floral oasis in the basket so the flowers stood up and covered it with bark. Z was sweetly excited at the end and I suspect he was a little unconvinced up until that point as to how they'd turn out.

4 comments:

  1. They're beautiful! So sunny! And will last a whole lot longer inside than the real ones my daughter picks for me ;) Love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow Cathy these are awesome... you are a cool mummy! ;0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look much more sophisticated than any egg box art I've seen in our house!! and a great idea for Easter as all the daffs around here are long gone with the late Easter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sweeties. Mel - I scrumped one of those huge egg trays from a cafe and they were great to use and so easy to paint too. I've totally got into egg carton art - think I'm going to use them to plant cress seeds next.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.