30/03/2011

Gypsy's Splatt

Image via Boligliv

I've been daydreaming about Gypsy's Splatt - our tumbledown Cornish cabin that I wrote about in this post. I was so touched by your comments, thank you! One day I hope it will look a little like this beautiful picture of a summerhouse in Denmark. The basic info is that it is pretty tiny, just 3 small rooms and a little porch at the front. It was built in the 1930's and last lived in during the 1950s. There are no services (water, electricity, sewerage) so we will have to install these ourselves, which is complicated by the fact that there is no local mains water or sewerage. My father managed to obtain a crucial bit of documentation by tracing the people that last lived there, so the cabin is legally classified as a residence and can be lived in all year round, once it's habitable. When we bought it, the corrugated roof was badly rusted, full of holes and the structure was rotten in several places. We are trying to retain as much of the original structure as possible and last year a team of fabulous builders spent a week replacing the roof, rebuilding the little porch and adding insulation. This year we're repairing the windowframes and floors and then we'll hopefully be able to stay there as a family for a few nights. I can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. what a lovely picture, I can just imagine you living here! Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brilliant for the children to live in the city but to have a secret wild cabin to escape to - maybe the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cabin sounds wonderful and such a brilliant place to have - a refuge. When it looks like the Danish summerhouse I am not sure I will be able to contain the jealousy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just read your old post about the cabin. How lovely and as Melanie says, when it's habitable, it will be best of both worlds for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.