25/01/2011

The Secret Cabin

Our hideaway in Cornwall

You may know that we live in a tiny flat with our 3 children. Ridiculous house prices aside, there's another reason we haven't been able to move. Six years ago we had a chance to buy a derelict cabin in Cornwall. It hadn't been lived in for 50 years, had no electricity, water or sewerage. It had leaks in the roof and holes in the floor. Everyone advised us not to buy it. I mean everyone. But, to us, it was beautiful - like something out of a fairy tale with fuscias growing up the rotten wooden porch. Even it's name 'Gypsy's Splatt' was romantic to us. It was also in a beautiful part of Cornwall, with a view of the sea if you stood on your tiptoes. We bought it using every saved-up penny that we had. Then I got pregnant and our cabin plans were put on hold. Our flat here in Bristol seemed to get smaller and smaller as each new baby arrived. I knew that if we sold that cabin we could move house. I think I even phoned some local estate agents at one point. But the cabin remains ours and each time I open an over-stuffed drawer I remember that our small home is Bristol is the sacrifice we have made to enable us to have our fairy-tale cabin. I wanted to introduce you to Gypsy's Splatt because we are planning our holidays and will be heading down there this spring. I would love to post about any progress we make, if it's of interest to you, even though it's not really anything to do with Bristol or parenting.

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is beautiful! I want to hear every single detail and see lots of photos too ;) I have to constantly force myself to stop looking at derelict houses so so cheap around Belgium, there's plenty of them here!! (though none with ocean views..)
    Can you stay there already, or is it totally uninhabitable? Your kids are gonna LOVE Gypsy's Splatt!! I am green with envy!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGELY jealous, it looks amazing and I would of done exactly the same! We'll do some work on it, in return for a stay!
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your post, I thought "oh no! she's gonna say they'll be selling the cabin!" and then when I got to the end and discovered that the cabin is safe and you have plans to go there this year - well, my smile beamed from ear to ear!!
    Sometimes finances are tough and space is minimal, but we all have to follow our hearts from time to time and you certainly followed yours when you bought and fell in love with Gypsy's Splatt :-)
    Your post has brought joy and magic to my day - thank you!
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy Splatt certainly looks heavenly, no wonder you have kept it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested! What an intriguing little place...I can see why you fell for it, and why you can't part with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely enchanting. Sometimes you just have to listen to your heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magical retreat! Can't wait to see the progress. p.s. I linked you in a blog post re your thank you notes. Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello again
    Tomorrow, during daylight (!) I'm going to take a photo of the Violet cotton real - just for you :-)
    She wasn't in the tangled mess in the box, because she's always on display in my studio ;-)
    Happy days to you and thank you for popping by,
    D x
    I'm pleased the comment made you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for all you wonderful comments - I have been quite touched by your enthusiasm. Rhi - we can stay in it but it is v basic - so not for long.
    I will post updates on progress during the year. Really, you've all made me super-happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DON'T SELL IT CATHERINE, it's so romantically gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fab Cath! Can't wait to see more pics and even visit one day!!!!

    Kisses xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.