15/11/2010

Jam Jar Lanterns

I have a growing collection of baby food jars - there is something about their tiny proportions that appeals to me. They are perfect for storing buttons, shells, acorn caps and other tiny treasures. We used them to make these lanterns which sit on our windowsill catching the autumn sunlight. In the evening they glow beautifully with a nightlight inside. To make them we cut heart shapes from kite paper using a craft punch (I'm planning some snowflake ones for Christmas) and then used pva glue to stick on the shapes and coat the finished jars to give them a smooth finish. I made the handles using wire threaded with buttons. If you're worried about young children carrying nightlights you can buy LED nightlights or just sit them on your windowsill in the sunlight. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Dorset Cereal! Wowzers! YOu lucky thing... I have Dorset Cereal every morning and love it... although the price still makes me cringe when I buy it. Very great prize indeed!

    Loving these jars... so very pretty! I might give them ago with C&R. xxx

    p.s. - be careful out there... very icey this morning! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful ! I will be trying this out for our festive decorations - thank you for sharing the picture / how to !
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh back again because I wanted to say thank you for your lovely comment about our special news :-)
    Thank you!
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! thanks for your lovely comment, i recognised your name from belle&boo. great to hear about the octons, i bought mine for me but it turns out my 5 year old loves playing with them too.
    i love your lanterns, all that colour overlap, it's one of my favourite things at the moment.
    have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.