225g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
55ml milk, or buttermilk
115g caster sugar
- Prehead oven to 190 C or Gas mark 5.
- Sift the salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and flour into a bowl.
- Cream the butter and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the the sugar to the butter mix until it's all combined and light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating until fully mixed.
- Mash the bananas together reserving 1/2 a banana for the topping.
- Add a bit of milk, then the dry mixture, then some of the mashed banana - beat well after each addition until it's all combined in one bowl.
- Fill cupcakes about 1/2 full and place a slice of banana on top of each one.
- Bake for 20 mins.